Valuing Mistakes and Persistence

How can mathematical pedagogy change so flexibility, creativity, teamwork, and continuous learning are valued learning competencies? Common Core Standards and the Mathematical Practices have given teachers and students the “WHAT” in math, embedding flexibility and a common language so teachers can design for the students in mind.

I believe many of the current published based curricula has triggered many misconceptions toward mathematics. By designing lessons around “THE ANSWER” and quick exposure to systematic notations on EVERYTHING, creates learning environments to race against time and their peers. Mathematics has become a fixed mindset art on systems, stress, and isolation, and speed. As articulated by Jo Boaler, covering every tiny standard does not mean the students will know more.

#WhatIf mathematics was designed around problem-based tasks in which embraced the process of the students’ deep thinking process and connections? Problem-solving could be slowed down and designed around the “big ideas of grade level mathematics.”  The task is implemented first.  Students shouldn’t know the answer right away.  If they do not struggle, they haven’t grown cognitively. As described by Dan Meyer @ddmeyer and other educational leaders, productive struggle is essential. The skills and/or methods will be shared as the teacher roams and identifies what questions could actually guide the student in solving the problem.

#WhatIf mathematics was a collaborative subject in which students spent time discussing mistakes while giving and receiving feedback so learners could refine and make better? Such an environment would embrace all student thinking and all student input. NOT ONE SOLUTION. Not one teacher.

As I collaborate with teachers in mathematics, I will guide to design how mathematics can be structured. Teachers know the “WHAT.” As I continue my journey with YouCubed.org, it will be my obligation to help design classrooms that embed the value of mistakes and intently make time to expose and allow discourse toward various ways to solve problems but to ensure time to discuss various mistakes being made as well.

It’s not about the one answer. The journey is what brings value- This is perseverance as mentioned in Math Practice #1.