Reframing Personalized Learning

I am on a journey with my school district- We are going to remain relevant to our community through Personalized Learning.  Not only that, a platform is going to be provided so teachers and students can have an entry point to personalizing.  As an instructional coach, of course I am going to go over and beyond to support my district through this journey.  As a Relator and Developer, I am researching, connecting with various communities of eductors within my district and globally, exploring ways to connect the vision with the educators around me.  I’m ready to take action….But wait!  Personalized Learning is such a broad concept.  It is an abstract concept causing confusion and a disconnect from the learning community.

As we know, changes and shifts bring the unknown.  It brings many questions, sometimes fear and cause disruption in the “flow.”  Crazy enough, this a natural process. Pedagogy, assessments, competencies… all have to be shifted, discussed and refined throughout the whole learning community.  Things get messy!  The perfect change process does not exist.  We have to start somewhere.  So, how can Personalized Learning be reframed so the whole learning community can obtain the vision and understand their “circle of control?”  Give educators, students, and stakeholders various access points within the shift.  Question the community, “How can students advocate for their own learning, their own engagement, and produce the results needed to show their own growth, while teachers guide?  Through goals, students can target habits and/or academic growth, while connecting with the teacher for guidance to achieve these personal objectives.    Through choice, students advocate where and how they best learn in various contexts.  Students also inquire and explore the best tools needed to support their learning (whether it is a strategy or a technological resource).  The choice of demonstration, whether it is recording, drawing, writing…their choice will allow the strength of the student to drive and make access to their performance.  Through inquiry, students research and investigate essential questions in various context areas and within their own interests.  Students create their own questions, opinions and voice their perspective to the learning community or a targeted global audience.  Through reflection, students are able to ask metacognitive questions to direct their learning.  What am I learning?  Why am I learning this?  Reflection, whether through a specific rubric, data or feedback process, the student can advocate what is needed to refine and enhance their thinking…and actually follow through with the process to validate growth.

Educators can identify their strengths in their pedagogical practices and be able to identify a struggle within the reframed question.  Regardless where the educator wants to “jump in” to research, refine and innovate for the students being served- the students will be able to advocate, take agency, and drive their learning for their own personal growth.  Educators can advocate and choose what is needed for their own pedagogical practices.  They decide how the provided platform can enhance student goals, choice, inquiry and reflection.  The students will have a direct connection to their learning, therefore creating intrinsic motivation and pride.  Win-Win for all!

Personalized Learning is a journey, not an end result.  Continuous problem solving is a fixed component.  How can each student have access to growth?  Students, educators, and the learning community at large, get to investigate, explore, and innovate (find a way) to make this happen at various access points.